Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Amy Winfrey Makes It Look So Fiendishly Easy


Amy Winfrey's Making Fiends

My art skills are on par with those of a groundhog. I can neither draw a circle with a compass nor a straight line with a ruler. Even my stick figures look fat and out of shape. Most of my adult life, I've worked around animators and designers who've make it clear that their talents are God-given and not man-made. This makes me feel very bad about myself until these very same artists allow me to bask in their brilliance by taking them out to lunches and dinners.

I'm also tone deaf, color-blind, knock-kneed and pigeon-toed, physical attributes that have not helped my animation abilities or my profile on eHarmony. However, I do know what I like when it comes to twisted cartoon humor. Amy Winfrey's Making Fiends is a series of web toons brilliantly perverse in its simplicity of design and structure. The writing and music are subversive in their guilelessness. The series is now a deserved hit on NICKTOONS.

Why do I bring all of this up? Recently some addlepated, mutton-headed, snot-nosed son of a friend of mine wanted to know what I thought of his animation web toon. I told him it was rough, crude, and unfunny. He told me that anyone who fluffs up his chest hairs, wears polyester, and still listens to Loverboy on an eight-track can't be trusted to know anything. I referred him to Amy's website if he wanted to actually learn something. Last I heard, his father was forking over major bucks to get this kid into a school where they teach students how to draw stuff other than a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment